Sign In

Noncredit Courses Banner


Noncredit Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between credit and noncredit?  

Noncredit courses are designed for students interested in pursuing​ personal, professional or academic goals. Noncredit courses focus on helping students build specific skills that are necessary for reaching their individual goals. 

Who can take noncredit courses?

Any community member 18 years or older can take noncredit courses. Those under 18 must complete a concurrent enrollment form and return it to the college’s Admissions and Records office.

How much does it cost to enroll in a noncredit course?

All noncredit courses are tuition-free, though students may have to pay additional fees.  All students that park on campus must purchase a parking pass. 

Can I take credit and noncredit courses at the same time?

Yes, many students take credit and noncredit courses at the same time. 

Do I need to apply to the college to take noncredit courses?

Yes, all students must fill out an application. Click on the "Get Started" link to begin the application process. If you need assistance completing your application or would like more information, contact your college’s Admissions and Records department.

When should I sign up for classes?

Courses can fill, so it is important to register early. 

Can I get financial aid?

No, since noncredit courses are tuition-free, students cannot receive financial aid. Students that are only taking noncredit courses thus do not need to complete the FAFSA or Dream Application, but students that are enrolling in both credit and noncredit should still apply for financial aid. 

Can I choose to take a course credit or noncredit​?

Most courses are either noncredit or credit, however some courses are "mirrored" which means that the college might offer the student the choice to enroll in a credit section or a noncredit section. All students are taught in the same classroom and students enrolled in the noncredit section must complete the same work as those enrolled in the credit section.​ Students should enroll in the noncredit or credit section based on their educational goal. 

Can I earn a Certificate of Competency or Completion?

Yes, Moreno Valley College, Norco College, and Riverside City College each offer many different certificates. Visit the Courses and Certificates page to learn more. 

How long will it take to earn a certificate?

The time it takes to complete a certificate varies. Visit the Courses and Certificates pages to learn more. Students can also make an appointment with a college counselor after they submit an application.

Will noncredit courses appear on my academic transcript? 

At this time, noncredit courses will not appear on an RCCD academic transcript. 

Will I receive a physical certificate? 

Yes, students that successfully complete all the required courses will get a certificate. Certificates are distributed 90 days after the end of the semester. For example, if the final course of the certificate ends in November, certificates will be distributed 90 days after the end of the fall semester, which is the second week of December. ​

Do I need a parking permit?

Yes, all students that park on campus must have a pass. Students can either purchase a daily parking permit or a semester long one. Students must park in the white spaces only (yellow spaces are for staff and faculty only). Parking is limited, so it is recommended to arrive 20 minutes early to class.

How many courses can I take?

Students are allowed to take as many courses as they choose. 

Can I repeat a course?

Most noncredit courses are repeatable. 

Can undocumented community members take noncredit courses?

Yes, undocumented community members can take noncredit courses and the noncredit CCC Apply college application does not ask for residency status. The hours earned in noncredit can count toward an individual's AB 540 status. Contact the college’s Admissions and Records office for more information. 

Do I get units for noncredit courses?


Do I have to purchase textbooks?

Yes, students do have to pay for textbooks, though many noncredit courses do not require textbooks.

Are courses offered in the community?

Yes, the colleges offer noncredit courses in the community. Refer to the noncredit schedule of classes for a list of course locations this semester.

Can I take courses if I do not have a high school diploma or equivalent?

Yes, all community members can take noncredit courses, however, we strongly encourage all students to complete their high school diploma or earn a GED. High school diploma completion or GED programs are offered by our partner school districts. Please visit the Riverside About Students website for more information.